Saturday 16 April 2011

The potential is there, but the work still has to be done

After numerous people showing interest in my music, I have decided to write a blog to illustrate what I do and where I'm going with it in words on the internet.

Enjoy...

After playing my first professional gig, supporting headline act (and now partial mentor) Dave Sharp, at Pivo Pivo in Glasgow in early April, a wave of praise headed my way. A standing ovation; air filled with the sound of applause and hollers; members of the audience coming up and shaking my hand; faces filled with shocked smiles.
A member of the audience approaches me and says, "Not bad for a support act! I can tell you I wasn't expecting that! Fuckin' brilliant!"
"Cheers man" I reply with a smile, as the sweat drips from my face after all the stomping, growling and harp blowing.
I felt calm before my set. I had prepared well for this event, so I expected myself to put on a good show. During my act I felt I made a couple of slight mistakes, nothing the crowd would notice. It was a solid and energetic performance. I could see through tinted sun-glass lenses people nodding their heads, moving their shoulders and stamping their feet to the beat and rhythm i was creating. The energy of the sound manipulated my behavior. It felt so good.
My energy and confidence turned into humility as I ended the act with a sustained, bluesy note from my harp, and the sound of my beat-boxing, humming, harp riffs and lyrics was immediately replaced by sheer applause and shouts from the crowd.
"Thank you very much, I've been Connor McCann, you've been the audience... Thank you and good night!"   
It's a good start to "my career" if anything. A few more gigs singing Son of Dave songs, rattling out some other covers and playing some sketchy songs of my own and I might just make a name for myself. Nothing wrong with that now is there?
However, Before this gig, I didn't really think about where I wanted to go with my music.
I didn't really think about developing my very own act.
As mentioned above I play mostly covers. I haven't, as yet, developed an act that I can truly say is my own.
So, after sitting down and discussing this with certain people, including musician Dave Sharp, I am now in a development phase. Studying the blues, beat poets and other styles of creative entertainment to create something that is dirty, raunchy and, on the off chance, inspiring to future audiences!

This could be the start of something insightful and beautiful or, maybe, just the start of another bozo thinking he is being uniquely interesting with ramblings and crappy ideas.
At this moment in time, all we can do is wait patiently. Wait and see if all this estimated potential turns into something I can deem worthy to display to you, the fan, on that lonesome stage.

As you read on in future blogs, take note and pay attention as I start my journey of musical discovery and reveal all as I embark into the unforeseeable future.
Let's see what happens.

Conn Harp

1 comment: